Make use of over-ripe bananas and whip up a batch of banana chocolate chip muffins. These muffins are tender and full of sweet banana flavour and chocolate chips.
Banana chocolate chip muffins are a classic, aren’t they? Light, fluffy and deliciously sweet, they are the perfect snack to satisfy your sweet tooth. And while these muffins taste indulgent, they are a slightly healthier option. We’ve omitted any butter or oil in our recipe and instead used applesauce. Not only is it healthier, but it makes for muffins that are moist and tender.
This recipe is quick and easy which means we can whip up a batch of these muffins on Sunday afternoon to last us through the week. And just like our Maple Banana Bread, these banana chocolate chip muffins are a great way to use up overripe bananas, which we always seem to have plenty of.
Now, our favourite way to eat these muffins is straight from the oven while the chocolate chips are still melted, but if it’s not chocolate you’re craving, try replacing the chocolate chips with nuts. Adding pecans or walnuts are a great way to add a little crunch.
Let us know what your favourite muffin recipe is, leave us a comment below!
- 2 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 3/4 cups granulated sugar
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 cup salted butter, softened
- 1 cup full-fat sour cream (14%)
- 2 eggs, beaten
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 3 medium bananas, mashed
- 1 cup semi-sweet chocolate chips
- Coarse sugar for sprinkling
- Preheat oven to 400°F and grease muffin pan with butter or baking spray (or use parchment liners).
- In a large mixing bowl, mix flour, sugar, baking powder and baking soda.
- Mix in softened butter with a fork until the mixture resembles a crumble.
- In a separate bowl, add sour cream, beaten eggs and vanilla extract.
- Add to dry mixture and stir until it is just moistened (batter is very thick!).
- Fold in bananas and chocolate chips.
- Fill muffin cups almost to the top (about 3/4 full).
- Sprinkle each muffin with coarse sugar.
- Bake for 16-20 minutes or until a toothpick comes out fairly cleanly.
- Cool for 5 minutes and remove from pan to a cooling rack.
Nutrition Information:Yield: 12 Serving Size: 1
Amount Per Serving:Calories: 360Total Fat: 17gSaturated Fat: 10gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 6gCholesterol: 63mgSodium: 267mgCarbohydrates: 50gFiber: 2gSugar: 25gProtein: 5g
Please keep in mind that nutritional information is an estimate and can vary greatly based on products used.