I was a little skeptical when I started to combine these ingredients, but the result has trumped any other cookie I have ever made. The combination of the unsweetened cocoa powder, vanilla and brandy add an undeniable richness to the cookie.
The aroma from these cookies in the oven will make your mouth start watering instantly. Believe me it will be difficult not to try and eat one of these right out of the oven…do not do it, I learned the hard way.
When you finally bite into a cooled cookie, you will never be able to eat just a plain old peanut butter or plain chocolate cookie again. The cookie is a little doughy, a little cakey, a little crunchy around the edges. Your next thought will be, “Oh no, I only have 35 left!” You may want to double the batch right from the get-go, rather than having to make another one a couple days later like we did!
These cookies are gluten-free, but not on purpose. After years of making plain peanut butter cookies, it was time for a change of our easy go-to recipe…and a great change it was indeed. Try this easy recipe and let us know what you think!
- 2 1/4 cups Creamy Peanut Butter (do not use natural)
- 2 cups brown sugar
- 2 large eggs
- 1 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
- 2 tsp baking soda
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 1 tsp brandy extract (or real brandy - or you can substitute with more vanilla)
- 1 cup coarse sugar
- Preheat oven to 350°F and line two baking sheets with parchment paper.
- Mix all ingredients in a mixing bowl, except for the coarse sugar. Place the coarse sugar in a small bowl and set aside.
- Take roughly two tablespoons of dough and roll into a ball. If the dough is too sticky, mix in more cocoa powder, one tablespoon at a time.
- Then roll the ball of dough in the bowl of coarse sugar to coat the ball completely.
- Place on a baking sheet and flatten the ball a little with the palm of your hand.
- Cook 8-10 minutes until edges start to crack.
- Cool for 10 minutes on the baking sheets before transferring to a wire rack to cool completely.
Nutrition Information:Yield: 36 Serving Size: 1
Amount Per Serving:Calories: 169 Total Fat: 8g Saturated Fat: 2g Trans Fat: 0g Unsaturated Fat: 5g Cholesterol: 10mg Sodium: 154mg Carbohydrates: 21g Fiber: 1g Sugar: 16g Protein: 4g