This slow cooker navy bean soup is made with dry navy beans, celery, and carrots for a hearty, healthy and quick meal.
One of our favourite dinners to make on a cold fall or winter day is a hearty soup, served with a loaf of crusty bread. It’s filling and warms you to the core, the perfect comfort food.
We love soups around here, and one or two different soup recipes almost always make it onto our weekly meal plan. There’s nothing not to love. From light and healthy broth-based soups to indulgent and rich comfort foods, there are so many different variations to try. And they’re usually easy to adjust to any dietary restrictions as well.
Variety aside, the reason we rely on soups so often for dinner is that they are just so simple to make. Whenever we can, we love to toss all of the ingredients into our slow cooker and let it simmer away throughout the day for a quick and delicious dinner.
Our slow cooker navy bean soup is just that, super easy! It’s also vegan and gluten-free, making it a guilt-free dinner you can feel good feeding to your family. And it is so filling you will only need one big bowl, leaving lots of leftovers for the next day.
- 4 tbsp olive oil
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 5 carrots, chopped
- 5 stalks of celery, chopped
- 1lb dry navy beans, washed and checked (do not use kidney or cannellini beans)
- 1 bay leaf
- 1 tsp dried rosemary
- 1/2 tsp dried thyme
- 1/2 tsp paprika
- 4 cups chicken or vegetable stock
- 3 cups water
- Pepper to taste
- OPTIONAL - add crumbled bacon or leftover cubed ham
- Combine all of the ingredients into the slow cooker and stir.
- Set to cook on high for 4-5 hours or low for 8 hours
- Once cooked, add salt and slightly mash some of the beans against the side of the slow cooker to thicken the soup.
- Serve with crusty bread and salty hard cheese, enjoy!
NOTE: Some readers have found they need to soak the dry beans overnight. We've tried this recipe both ways and found it turned out best when we didn't soak the beans.
Nutrition Information:Yield: 6 Serving Size: 1
Amount Per Serving:Calories: 623Total Fat: 25gSaturated Fat: 6gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 17gCholesterol: 105mgSodium: 551mgCarbohydrates: 54gFiber: 14gSugar: 6gProtein: 46g