Blueberry muffins are one of our favourite comfort foods, it’s the combination of a light and fluffy texture mixed with juicy ripe blueberries. And I find whenever we’re looking for a quick and easy idea for breakfast we will whip up a batch of these homemade blueberry muffins, and they’re always a hit. They make an easy breakfast for those mornings you have to eat on the run and they are a great afternoon pick-me-up snack with a cup of tea.
These homemade blueberry muffins are a quick and simple recipe, and I promise, these really are the best blueberry muffins you’ll ever taste. We use buttermilk as the wet ingredient, and buttermilk just makes everything taste richer. We also almost always use frozen blueberries because that is what we usually have on hand, although fresh blueberries would be just as delicious. Or try substituting your favourite berry or fruit, even banana would be a great addition to this recipe.
Even though classic blueberry muffins are definitely our favourite, we do like a bit of variety too. Our Raspberry muffins, Banana Coconut muffins, and Apple Crumble muffins are just a few of the other muffin recipes that top our list of favourites.
get the look
- 1 cup buttermilk (or 1 cup whole milk and 1 tbsp white vinegar - see instructions below)
- 2 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 1 tsp baking soda
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/2 cup brown sugar
- 3/4 cup white sugar
- 1/2 cup unsalted butter, softened
- 1 egg
- 2 tsp vanilla extract
- 1 1/2 cups frozen blueberries
- 6 tsp coarse sugar
- Preheat oven to 425°F. Line muffin cups with parchment muffin liners, or lightly coat with unsalted butter or cooking spray.
- Combine milk and vinegar in a measuring cup. Stir and allow to sit for 5-10 minutes. Milk will thicken or curdle, effectively making buttermilk.
- In a medium bowl, combine flour, baking powder, baking soda and salt.
- Using an electric mixer, combine brown sugar, white sugar, butter, egg, vanilla and milk/vinegar in a large bowl and mix until combined.
- Add the dry mix until just combined, do not overmix.
- Fold in the frozen blueberries
- Scoop the muffin mixture into each cup, filling it to the top of the liner.
- Top each muffin with 1/2 tsp coarse sugar
- Bake for 5 minutes at 425°F and then reduce temperature to 350° and bake for 18-20 minutes until a toothpick can be inserted and removed cleanly.
Nutrition Information:Yield: 12 Serving Size: 1
Amount Per Serving:Calories: 279Total Fat: 9gSaturated Fat: 5gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 3gCholesterol: 38mgSodium: 261mgCarbohydrates: 46gFiber: 1gSugar: 25gProtein: 4g