When I think of summer my thoughts always drift to fresh berries – strawberries, raspberries, blackberries and blueberries. For me, these sweet little fruits are the epitome of summertime living.
As a child, I remember spending hours at our local berry farm with my dad, mom and sister picking berries and usually filling our tummies more than our baskets. It was a summertime tradition for our family and one that I always looked forward to.
I haven’t been berry picking in years. Every summer Nick and I make plans go back to that little berry farm along the highway, but the days always seem to get away from us, especially during the busy summer months. But I am looking forward to the day when our little one is big enough to join us and we can begin this family tradition again.
Berries are a family favorite around here because of their simplicity. They make the perfect snack on their own – delicious, easy and healthy. Or use them in your favorite family recipes, a few of our favorites are homemade pies, jams, muffins (like our blueberry and raspberry recipes) or turnovers.
This simple turnover recipe is a perfect way to use up all of those fresh berries, but if you don’t have fresh berries on hand, frozen taste just as delicious.
I hope you enjoy this family-favorite recipe of ours! It’s the perfect treat to savor on a summer morning while sipping your coffee and enjoying the early morning sun on your patio.
- 1 package frozen puff pastry, thawed
- 2 cups frozen blueberries
- 2 cups frozen raspberries
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 2 tsp ground cinnamon
- 6 tbsp water
- 4 tbsp cornstarch
- Preheat oven to 350°F.
- Add blueberries, raspberries, sugar and cinnamon to skillet.
- Once it has started sizzling add the water. Boil for 2 minutes.
- Add cornstarch and continue to cook until thickened to the consistency of jam.
- Roll out each puff pastry and cut into 4 squares each (8 total). Add approximately 1/3 cup of berry mixture to the center of each square.
- Using your finger, apply water to the edges of the triangle so that they will stick together when cooking. Fold over, corner to corner, creating a triangle and press down wet edges.
- Wet the top of each triangle and sprinkle coarse sugar.
- Bake for 20 minutes or until beginning to turn golden brown.
Nutrition Information:Yield: 8 Serving Size: 1
Amount Per Serving:Calories: 130Total Fat: 2gSaturated Fat: 0gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 1gCholesterol: 0mgSodium: 11mgCarbohydrates: 29gFiber: 5gSugar: 18gProtein: 1g