These simple banana coconut muffins are perfect for breakfast on busy mornings or make a delicious afternoon snack.
Muffins are a staple around our house, and I’m a self-confessed muffin-addict. I love that they’re a convenient breakfast on the go or an easy afternoon pick me up. And now that Zoe will be heading to school this fall, I know I’ll be relying even more on quick and healthy breakfast options as I get the girls fed and out the door on time.
My absolute favourite is a classic blueberry muffin, but this banana coconut combination Nick made is coming in at a close second. Seriously, they are so good. They’re light and perfectly fluffy and the touch of course sugar and shredded coconut on top gives it a sweet little crunch.
We used our tried and true (reader favourite!) muffin recipe as the base, and changed a few ingredients to make these banana coconut muffins. We’ve used this recipe before while making our blueberry muffins, raspberry muffins, and apple muffins. Each time we try a new muffin recipe we always start with this as our base and simply change a few of the ingredients to suit whatever flavour we’re after.
Super simple and absolutely delicious, you can’t go wrong with these banana coconut muffins. You could even toss in a few chocolate chips if you’ve got a super sweet tooth.
- 1 cup whole milk
- 1 tbsp white vinegar
- 2½ cups all-purpose flour
- 1/3 cup unsweetened medium shredded coconut
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 1 tsp baking soda
- ½ tsp salt
- ½ cup unsalted butter, softened
- 1 egg
- 2 tsp vanilla extract
- 2-3 ripe bananas, mashed
- ½ cup brown sugar
- ¾ cup white sugar
- Coarse sugar for topping
- Additional unsweetened medium shredded coconut for topping
- Preheat oven to 425°F. Line muffin cups with parchment muffin liners, or lightly coat with unsalted butter or cooking spray.
- Combine milk and vinegar in a measuring cup. Stir and allow to sit for 5-10 minutes. Milk will thicken or curdle, effectively making buttermilk.
- In a medium bowl, combine flour, coconut, baking powder, baking soda and salt.
- Using an electric mixer, combine brown sugar, white sugar, butter, egg, vanilla, bananas and milk/vinegar in a large bowl and mix until combined.
- Add the dry mix until just combined, do not overmix.
- Scoop the muffin mixture into each cup, filling it to the top of the liner.
- Sprinkle the top of each muffin with coarse sugar and shredded coconut.
- Bake for 5 minutes at 425F and then reduce temperature to 350 and bake for 18-20 minutes until a toothpick can be inserted and removed cleanly.
Nutrition Information:Yield: 12 Serving Size: 1
Amount Per Serving:Calories: 331 Total Fat: 12g Saturated Fat: 8g Trans Fat: 0g Unsaturated Fat: 3g Cholesterol: 38mg Sodium: 288mg Carbohydrates: 53g Net Carbohydrates: 0g Fiber: 2g Sugar: 29g Sugar Alcohols: 0g Protein: 5g