Roma tomatoes, jalapeno peppers, garlic, and cilantro make this homemade fresh tomato salsa a favourite summertime appetizer.
Summer entertaining should always be about simplicity, and this homemade fresh tomato salsa is simplicity at its best.
Made with fresh ingredients, like Roma tomatoes, garlic, and jalapeno peppers, it’s full of flavour making it the perfect summertime appetizer. And while we believe fresh seasonal ingredients definitely make this salsa the best, it can be a year-round favourite too using store-bought produce.
It’s a simple recipe that can be made in a matter of minutes, just be sure to make it ahead of time to allow the flavours to settle and come together.
We like our salsa finely processed, not chunky and that’s the beauty of making your own, you get to choose the consistency. Do you like a strong cilantro flavour like we do? Add more cilantro, or less if you prefer! You can tailor this homemade salsa to your tastebuds.
Serve simply with tortilla chips (these are our favourite), as an addition to any Mexican recipe, it adds so much flavour topped on chicken breast or pair it with our Ultimate Loaded Nachos. We’ve also served it up with our favourite brand of organic, gluten-free cracker and it is delicious as well. Any way you use it, we promise our homemade fresh tomato salsa will be a crowd-pleaser.
And if you’re looking for more recipes to use up the endless supply of fresh Roma tomatoes this summer, be sure to try our Tomato and Feta Bruschetta Flatbread.
- 5-6 Roma (Italian) tomatoes, chopped
- 1 can (14.5oz) petite cut tomatoes (garlic and olive oil if available), drained*
- 1 medium red onion, chopped
- 4 cloves garlic, chopped
- 1/4 cup green onions, chopped
- 1 jalapeno pepper, seeded, diced
- 1/4 cup fresh cilantro, washed and de-stemmed
- 1 tsp dried oregano
- 1 tbsp garlic powder
- 4 tbsp taco seasoning
- 1 tbsp sugar
- 1 tbsp sea salt
- Pepper to taste
- Mix all ingredients in a bowl.
- Transfer to the food processor and pulse to your liking. We like our salsa finely chopped, but if you prefer a chunky salsa, pulse for less time.
- Transfer salsa to an airtight container and place in the refrigerator overnight to allow the flavours to come together.
- Serve with tortilla chips and sour cream on the side or use it in your favourite nacho dip recipe.
- Stores in the refrigerator in an airtight container for up to 7 days.
*If you can't find petite cut tomatoes, you can use regular diced canned tomatoes.
Nutrition Information:Yield: 8 Serving Size: 1
Amount Per Serving:Calories: 37Total Fat: 0gSaturated Fat: 0gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 0gCholesterol: 0mgSodium: 1183mgCarbohydrates: 8gFiber: 1gSugar: 3gProtein: 1g
Please keep in mind that nutritional information is an estimate and can vary greatly based on products used.